Update on the long-term "Weekly Printing" project
A few months ago I described a long-term daily project that entailed shooting and printing one photo for each day of the week; one week later.
By now the project is approaching its mid-term (of one year duration) and I’m happy to report it’s going really well. There are also a couple of things I noticed, possibly worthy of mention.
First of all, as mentioned in the original article, there is this constant buildup of “awareness” (if I can use this word), of every picture you take potentially being printed at some point in the future. In other words, there is a refreshing departure from the mentality of “shooting first, asking questions [about what to do with the picture] later”.
As per the initial plan, I’m not including any professional assignment photos, or any from my personal projects; these are all random pictures shot just because there is a camera and a subject. Now, the camera, I noticed, is in most cases one my film cameras. I don’t know why this happened, but it’s interesting to see how it develops. There are also a lot of photos shot with my digital cameras and even my smartphone, of course.
I am more than confident that such types of casual long term projects are an awesome way to get break free of any number of creative blocks; I’d be happy to know if this or something similar is working for you.